Enjoy a volunteer combination of working in a school in the mornings and spend afternoons at a home for children and teens (aged 5 - 17).
At the home for children and teens, the volunteer`s day is spent in the mornings at a secondary school. The school is based in Observatory and volunteers will be participating in the morning component of our `Words Changing Worlds` project. At this project they provide a literacy programme to support children at English-speaking, inner-city schools whose first language is not English and who need a little extra help. Afternoons are spent at the children`s home based in Athlone, once the children return from school. The children are in need of positive adult attention, as well as assistance with their homework, playing games, sports and general guidance.
With both choices, activities depend on the age of the children, but giving children positive attention and meeting them at their level is the biggest requirement.
The home has limited resources and therefore are grateful for any help and all contributions. Having volunteers increases the ratio of children-adults, therefore enabling each child to receive more individual attention, and more chance of noticing and dealing with emotional problems before they escalate.
- Observe children developing and discovering new things
- Form friendships with children
- The joy of lots of loves and hugs from small people
- Developing relationships and crossing culture barriers
- Being a positive influence and guiding teens to make good decisions
- Altruistic feeling of doing something meaningful
Weekly Schedule & Activities
Spend some one-on-one time with children in the literacy programme
- Assist with reading, spelling and pronunciation
- Assist with word games
- Assist children with key problems in regards to reading
- Create conversation to encourage language development
- Listen and support
This is your chance to shine and bring your own individual skills to the table
- Take initiative and develop an after school activity that is within your area of personal interest but also that would be fun for the children
- Anything goes - from teaching children to playing chess to drama classes
- Part of your project donation amount goes towards resources for the afternoon activities you initiate (within reason and depending on the activity)
- Assist with administration work
- Help children with homework and projects
- Assist in word games, reading and basic language in the literacy programme
- Listen and offer guidance
- Assist with arranging after school activities
This project is closed during the South African school holidays.
31 March - 18 April
11 December 2017 - 16 January 2018
Please note that you cannot book a project to coincide with these dates. If you want to book a project where the first part of the project is before the holidays, and the second part is after the holidays, talk to your travel advisor who will be able to help you.
- Airport transfers
- Cape Town Orientation Package: 3 nights' accommodation, orientation that covers everything the volunteers need to know about staying in South Africa (from social skills to transport and safety), two meals per day, bus trip into town, lunch (on the Friday), walking tour of the city, a train ride back to the accommodation and day trip (on the Saturday)
- All paperwork, placement and liaising with your volunteer program
- Appointed supervisor for the duration of program
- Two meals a day (breakfast and dinner)
- Donation per month to the volunteer project to assist in their funding
- A South African SIM card that works on a pay-as-you-go top up system
- Monthly socials for volunteers to get together and meet other volunteers (cost depends on the social)
- Certificate & report on volunteer`s program should this be required for studies or other purposes
- FREE 2-hour surf lesson
Mandatory Volunteer Requirements
- Minimum age of 18
- Police clearance required
- Intermediate advanced English required
You can choose to be accommodated in a Volunteer House OR with a South African Host Family in local community (own room or shared room with another volunteer (same gender). The Volunteer House is a very nice backpackers hostel and the guests staying there are mainly volunteers.
Here is some additional info about your accommodation in the case of a Volunteer House:
- Shared rooms between 4-6 volunteers
- Your airport transfers are included in the price.
- A You2Africa shuttle (door to door from host family/volunteer house direct to project) is included in the price.
- Volunteers can also hire a car (at their own cost; only with valid a driver's license).
Arrive Thursday for orientation, start volunteering Monday.
Good wholesome fresh meals cooked daily by our chef who provides a great cereal breakfast and tasty delicious dinners with weekly menus to suit all culinary tastes. Lunches are at the volunteers' own cost and should be taken and eaten at the volunteer project. We can cater for vegetarians, vegans and those with lactose or gluten intolerance, please just inform us at the time of booking. If you have more special dietary requirements, please be prepared to provide this for yourself.